Searches for two men missing along rugged coastline east of Albany to stretch into second day

Taj Stubber, Kellie Balaam and Liam CroyAlbany Advertiser
Christopher Hoy, 36, was last seen around 4pm on Thursday.
Camera IconChristopher Hoy, 36, was last seen around 4pm on Thursday. Credit: WA Police

Emergency services on the south coast are dealing with two separate searches for men missing along the rugged coastline east of Albany, with search efforts to stretch into their second day on Sunday.

The searches were set to resume at first light after one man was rescued from the Southern Ocean late on Saturday afternoon.

The first search was sparked about midday when police received a report that 36-year-old Christopher Hoy had failed to return home after going fishing in Gull Rock National Park on Thursday.

A WA Police spokesman said the man’s roommate alerted police.

It is understood the man was last seen in the area about 4pm on Thursday.

Police, SES, and Albany Sea Rescue were involved in a land and sea search for the missing man, with their efforts bolstered by a police helicopter and police drones.

A control point was set up in the Ledge Beach Road car park, with the area cordoned off to the public.

Forensics officers and firefighters were also at the scene.

Mr Hoy’s vehicle, believed to be a black Holden Captiva, was found and towed away yesterday.

About 2.30pm on Saturday, police were told two young men had been swept off rocks west of Mermaid Beach, near Cheynes Beach.

It is understood the men had been fishing in the area before they were swept into the ocean.

A decision was made to divert the Albany Sea Rescue vessel to the Mermaid Beach search, about 3km south-west of Cheynes Beach.

Sea rescue volunteers rescued one of the young men from the water, about 200m offshore.

He was brought to safety at Cheynes Beach.

A police helicopter, a civilian helicopter and surf life savers on jet skis were involved in the search for the other young man this afternoon.

Great Southern Police Superintendent Ian Clarke said ocean conditions forced the search to be suspended at dusk.

He said both searches would resume this morning.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails