Staff praised for fire efforts

Briana FioreHarvey-Waroona Reporter

Fire crews were called to a childcare centre in Australind at 11:45am on Friday after a fire was reported at the centre.

An electric fan reportedly caught fire at Goodstart Early Learning Australind and the children were evacuated.

Australind and Eaton Volunteer Fire and Rescue, Bunbury Volunteer Fire and Rescue and Bunbury career firefighters all attended the incident.

A spokesperson from the Bunbury Fire Station said there was a lot of smoke, however no one was injured in the fire.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Staff at the centre said all the children and workers managed to evacuate in time and were all OK.

The fire appeared to have started in the centre’s bathroom, according to a member of staff.

Emergency services blocked off the street and residents could see the smoke from neighbouring houses.

Parents were called to collect their children after the fire and many parents took to social media to commend the way the centre staff handled the situation.

“The way this was handled is a true credit to the wonderful staff at this centre. Everyone was out safe and cared for,” one parent wrote.

“Goodstart Australind managed the situation really well,” another wrote.

The childcare centre did not open yesterday and staff were unsure of when the centre will be reopened.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails