‘He was never a prince’: Giuffre family says of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following arrest

AFP
Camera IconVirginia Giuffre. Credit: Getty

The family of Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre slammed Britain’s former prince Andrew on Thursday following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct, saying “he was never a prince.”

“At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty,” Giuffre’s siblings said in a statement to US TV network CBS News.

“He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you,” said the family members of Giuffre, who died by suicide last year.

VideoPolice arriving in Sandringham

The former prince, now Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was eventually stripped of his titles after Ms Giuffre alleged she had been trafficked to have sex with him.

Read more...

Ms Giuffre had alleged that she was trafficked by Epstein to have sex with Andrew on three occasions, twice when she was just 17.

Her accusations and other documents made public reignited UK anger over his ties to Epstein.

Ms Giuffre, who moved to Perth after the allegations were aired, took her own life at the age of 41 in April last year.

Andrew previously denied any wrongdoing in his associations with Epstein including allegations made by Ms Giuffre, but reached an out-of-court settlement with her in 2022 to resolve their civil sexual assault lawsuit.

While the exact amount was not officially disclosed, it was widely reported to be somewhere between $16 million to $20m.

The Queen reportedly contributed approximately $4m to the settlement.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails