A Vanuatuan man accused of sexually assaulting a man in a Harvey park has had his plea rejected by the courts after a misunderstanding over whether he will fight or admit to the allegations. Sakariah Yawiko appeared in Bunbury Magistrate’s Court via videolink from Bunbury Regional Prison on Thursday, where he was due to enter pleas on three counts of aggravated sexual penetration without consent. While Mr Yawiko’s defence counsel indicated to the court he would enter pleas of not guilty, when the pleas were taken Mr Yawiko said via an interpreter he pleaded guilty. Mr Yawiko also told the court via the interpreter that he “did not ask before I did what I did”, prompting magistrate Joanne Andretich to reject the plea and adjourn the matter for two weeks to allow counsel and Mr Yawiko to finalise how they will progress the charges. It is alleged Mr Yawiko sexually penetrated a man on three occasions between 3am and 4am on January 28 at a park in Harvey on Hayward Street and other people were present at the time. During police investigations in February, detectives described the “traumatised” man as being “extremely brave” in coming forward with his allegations and asked the community to be mindful of his welfare after police became aware of rumours and online discussions of the incident. Detective Senior Sergeant Robert Martin said Harvey Beef, where Mr Yawiko worked, had been “extremely supportive” of the investigation. He said authorities had attended an event where foreign workers had an opportunity to ask police and the company questions about matters raised by the incident.