A five-month-old baby girl who suffered catastrophic injuries after she was violently shaken was killed by one of her parents – but exactly who remains unclear at this stage. That was the conclusion of Deputy State Coroner Sarah Linton who at the end of the inquest into the death of Baby BE said that while she was satisfied the infant was shaken by one of her parents, just who was more “difficult to narrow” down. She also said she was satisfied the little girl had been shaken once before the shocking incident that led to the end of her life in May 2019 — with medical experts testifying the child had a previous brain injury consistent with being shaken. “There were only two people who had the opportunity to cause and inflict those injuries — the two parents,” Ms Linton said. “Who caused it… anyone who sat in this courtroom will be in the same position as me…it’s very difficult to narrow that down but I will do my best to look carefully at the evidence. I have a responsibility to test the evidence carefully.” Turning to the lawyers for both parents, Ms Linton then said: “It was one of your clients that caused it. Both co-operated (with the inquest) and gave evidence and I will weigh up that evidence.” Ms Linton then told Tom Percy KC, who was representing the father, that there may be an adverse finding against his client in relation to the environment his children were living in explaining that it was his responsibility to ensure they lived in a safe home. The inquest was told earlier this week the property they were living in just before Baby BE’s death had no running water, no electricity, broken glass window and exposed live wires in the ceiling. “He reflects upon it now,” Ms Linton continued. “The home environment in particular was less than satisfactory. If it was the mother, then he created the environment… that stretched her to the limits. “However, there is no excuse for anyone inflicting that kind of violence. “Neither parent (in their evidence) admitted to it or pointed the finger at each other at this stage.” Baby BE was first taken to Joondalup Health Campus on May 21, 2019 by her parents after suffering seizures but was quickly transferred to Perth Children’s Hospital where further tests found she had been shaken by an adult. They also uncovered the tiny infant — who was born prematurely after her mother tried to abort her at 23 weeks, had 16 rib fractures as well as at least seven other bone fractures that are believed to have been inflicted up to ten days before she was taken to hospital. WA Police arrested both parents on suspicion of her murder but released them without charge because of a lack of evidence. The inquest was held to determine exactly how she died and whether the Department of Communities — which became aware of Baby BE after the failed abortion then released the infant into the parents’ care six weeks before her death — failed in its treatment, care and supervision of her before she was horrifically injured. During the inquest, Detective Sergeant Gregory Hart, who was part of the homicide unit investigating Baby BE’s death, told the inquest WA Police still believe that one or both parents were responsible for the catastrophic brain injuries that led to her death. He also testified that police covertly recorded conversations between the couple in the days after little Baby BE died in which the father accused the mother of killing the infant girl before slapping and pushing her head into a bed — an action that led to him being convicted of domestic violence offences. The secret recordings made in July 2019 also captured the father trying to “encourage” his wife “to kill herself” and persistently accuse her of killing their daughter prompting her at one stage to mockingly admit she did. He also told the inquest after interviewing both parents he found the mother’s version of events were “all over the place” and that it was only after they presented her with CCTV footage showing her movements that day that she changed her story. Both parents also gave evidence at the inquest in which they both denied shaking their daughter. They also testified that neither of them saw the other shake or hurt their little girl and both described the other as a good parent. The mother denied she had used methamphetamine after the birth of her first child 11 years earlier but the father testified they both did intermittently up until the birth of Baby BE. The father admitted he lost his temper with his wife which led to him being charged with aggravated assault and the mother testified that she was scared of her husband. The inquest heard the woman did not have control of any of the finances and was prevented from seeing friends once she became a mother. And while it will be at least six months before she hands down her findings, Ms Linton said it was also clear to her that there were key moments once the Department of Communities became aware of Baby BE and the family that they could have stepped in.